Monday, August 29, 2022

Nora Ephron

 At the end of I Remember Nothing: And Other Reflections Kindle edition, there is an Acknowledgement that tells of author, Nora Ephron's death on June 26, 2012. She was 69 when she wrote this. I related to the chapter titled: The O Word. She wrote about losing 2 inches, gaining 10 pounds and not being able to lose even one pound. 

Yes, I lost 2 inches of height and gained 16 pounds. I work to lose 5 pounds only to gain 2 pounds. She talks about life feeling like a lottery. Living in a senior apartment complex, I visualize a huge roulette wheel wondering whose number will come up. 

Nora died from pneumonia brought on by acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia, a blood disorder ~ an imbalance of white/red blood cells. Rather like my own mantle cell lymphoma ~ my cancer relating to lymph nodes, but affecting my white/red blood cells (due to chemo?) I was down to 80 pounds and wonder if Ms. Ephron lost weight due to her cancer. 

"If this is one of the last days of my life, am I doing exactly what I want to be doing?" She also wondered if she knew what she should be doing. She did not mention illness; as we advance in years we become more of death looming large in our future.

I  enjoyed the first chapter of the memoir. I mostly bored with the next chapters about becoming a journalist. It picked up again when she wrote about aging, technology, lists of 25 Things she could live without, and more. She also wondered if she knew what she should be doing. Me too. 

It was a good read, except for the name dropping of people whose names I did not recognize. I learned things I did not know about Nora, such as writing the screen play for two movies I enjoyed ~When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle. I would recommend the book for anyone who walks in a room and forgets what they wanted. Or searches in purse for keys, while holding the keys in her hands. 

I wonder if men have those senior moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment