Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pulse

I wrote about Pulse by Edna Buchanan on Homeless in Long Beach blog due to homeless mentions. I am not doing a book review on this one, except for a short blurb at Goodreads.

The main character in Pulse, Frank, had a heart transplant. That reminded me of my Facebook game friend, Denise who had one herself. She does not hang at Facebook much anymore. Do not know if she returned to playing the games I used to stay at longer than I wanted to, because they were her favorites. I find the whole idea of organ transplants creepy, but would not say that to Denise who pushes for people to donate organs.

I used to have my driver's license set so that my body could be donated ~ to science ~ for study, because I am quite positive none of my organs would be healthy enough for a transplant. Then I read that the donor's heirs had to pay for the transport of organ or something like that and now check No to organ or body donation.

Denise educated me on that aspect; donors are never billed for their gift. Yet, I put some thought into it and decided no thank you. Even to save a life? Since I used to believe that the body is a prison for the soul, death appealed to me. If its your time to go, go peacefully into the next dimension. Now that I am closer to death, not sure how I feel about all of that.

Anyway, what I found interesting about Pulse was mentions of cellular memory being transplanted along with the organ. A hear is just a pump, a doctor explains in the book, yet it has long been associated with love or the seat of emotions. Could the recipient of the heart (or other organ) take on aspects of the deceased's personality, remember their memories? I want to ask Denise if she has had any otherworldly experiences since obtaining her new heart. Someone else's heart.

A quote from the book: "I know ESP is a fact. Didn't you ever know exactly what somebody was gonna say before they they said it? Or that the phone was about to ring and who was calling? Or think of people you haven't seen in years and then cross paths them the next day?" There is more about dream premonitions or signs of passing of loved one.

I have not thought about that stuff for years. Worry about mental health. Since I believed that everyone has ESP but do not know it, believe in spirits and all of that, I thought his deceased grandmother's voice in my head telling me: Feed him, was real. Now know it was the product of my vivid imagination and slight psychosis, as Dr. Mike called it.

Fear now to go back to the mindset that trusted spiritual things, or stuff like ESP, not knowing how to recognize what is the result of brain chemical imbalances resulting from PTSD. Enjoyed reading about the possibility of bringing another's person into oneself after an organ transplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment