Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Sisters

Have not gotten very far with this blog. Got disgusted one day trying to add an image where I wanted it for a book review, written, but not bothering to submit to Yahoo Voices. Perhaps I will work on it this week.

Since I started this to publish articles already written, which are mostly book reviews, will add thoughts on books read here.

I wrote about The Sisters by Nancy Jensen on my Homeless in Long Beach blog due to an almost homeless mention ~ vagrant was the word used.

I joined Good Reads. Gave this book a two star rating meaning "It was okay." I might have given it a one, meaning "I didn't like it", except there were parts of the novel that I enjoyed reading.

Asked what she learned from Vietnam war veterans a photographer said: "That for them the war won't ever be over....I don't think any real war ever is--large, small, between countries, between people. Even the wars inside ourselves. Something always remains."

People preach to forgive and forget. I have found it impossible to forget things; much worse for those who experience wars first hand. And other horrors. The wars may be over; vivid snap shots arrive clearly in mind keeping memories alive. Or the tape of words etched forever in the mind, show up at odd times of their own violation. How to forgive the one who started the war, inflicted the pain when the memories never go away. Scars a constant reminder of the battles.

Thus I liked character's  "never ending war" comments.

A soldier told her that a peace symbol was a broken cross. Interesting thought; yet Jesus said he did not come to bring peace, but with a sword to divide, including families.

No comments:

Post a Comment