Tuesday, February 21, 2023

What Really Happened to the Class of '65

 I found an old note from "What Really Happened to the Class of '65" by Michael Medved. Most of my notes do not make much sense; people's names, like Pete Seeger, waist deep in the Big Easy. 

The book I read had passages highlighted in yellow. I wondered if my sister was the one who highlighted stuff. "Heartfelt love letter," might have been something she would highlight. Out of context, have no idea why I noted it.

"Most of the time we were bored Despite what you've read about how exciting the '60s were, those of us who grew up in them, spent a great deal of time, looking for something to do."

My thought: when people talk about the '60s, it is really about late 1960s and early 1970s. It was 1966 when the coolest girl in my high school class, stopped teasing, hairspraying stiff, her hair, to let it grow straight and long. 

She also was one of my classmates that wore mini-skirts. Mini, not micro mini, that some wore. When we arrived for gym, the teacher was by locker room sending us into the gym. We had to kneel on the floor; if our dresses/skirt hem did not touch the floor, we would be sent home to change.

Sandy pulled her blouse out of the skirt, pulled her mini down as far as she could, so that when she kneeled on the floor the hem touched it. A visual inspection would have shown it was not touching the top of the knee ~ the approved length. 

The traditional Senior Dress Down Day was cancelled. The principle did not think taxpayers would approve seeing boys in jeans and girls in pants on the next to last day of their senior year.

Was it two years later, or the next, when my sister was in high school? The dress code was changed; boys were now allowed to wear jeans to school and girls were allowed to wear pants or slacks.

My sister wore dresses. I wondered why. I hated dresses ever since the boys would look up the zigzag staircase to look under our them. And, on Sunday's we went to our grandparents. We played kids games, like What Time is It Mister Fox or Freeze Tag. I complained to my mother about my female cousins being allowed to wear comfortable play clothes ~ but she was not moved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment