Tuesday, February 21, 2023

1960s

High school was all Motown, Tamla, Soul, Gordy 45 rpms for me. James Brown, Wilson Picket, maybe still liked the Four Seasons. No Pete Seeger or Bob Dylan for me, thank you. 

High school was boring history teacher pounding on desk shouting: We. Are. At. War. I woke from my daydream wondering what I had missed.

I got caught up, as he continued his rant. He told us not to listen to what they told us, it was war, not a conflict. Vietnam. I was probably aware of the Watt's riot. 

Although I remember working full time, when a co-worker came to work with a black eye suffered from attending a mini-riot in my hometown. When I drove home from work, Albany Street was eerily empty and quiet. My father yelled at me when I got home, driving through downtown.

As if I could have gotten home in any other way. That is when I heard about the rioting. I guess that was 1967. Police brutality against blacks was the cause. Can not say "we've come a long way baby" in that regards. 

I do not remember having nothing to do, being bored. Personally, times were changing. I was a devout Catholic, but that was ending ~ mainly due to use of N-word by peeps who sat in the pews beside me. What about love they neighbor? 

I had embarrassing menstrual accidents. I suffered terrible "hay fever" and had contact dermatitis, or eczema. I do not know which was worse~ worrying about a boy asking me on a date, and telling him I was not allowed to date until 16 or that no boy asked me out. I was terribly shy.

My elementary school friends went into College prep courses, and I was in Office Practice. Once I started my part time job, I no longer got to attend basketball games or football Saturdays. I like working more than high school. School was boring.

I do not remember being bored as my favorite free time activity was reading. And listening to radio or my records, and dancing. People experienced the 1960s differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment