Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Blood Grove

One of the two Kindle books I read after finishing The Black Friend was Walter Mosley's Blood Grove. My first Kindle purchase, after Mosley posted about it on sale, via Facebook. LOL I paid $2.99 for a book I gave a 2 Star Rating at Goodreads. I guess the first time I read it was a hardcover book from library. At first I thought he was bringing readers up to date on past characters. It all sounded so familiar, but I do not remember Mosley going into so much detail about clothing and food. 

Then I checked Goodreads and put the Kindle book aside. It was getting boring, which seldom happens with a Mosley novel. Since I paid for it, I resumed reading; it got better, before it got boring again. Goodreads changed format. The old format easier to use, so doubt I aid a 2nd read date. 

"One of the symptoms of shell shock is that the victim of trauma sometimes loses themselves in thoughts " I think it is called the thousand yard stare. 

"You can't have one rich man without a hundred poor standing behind him."

I found myself noticing every time Mosley used all the variations of the N word. Thank you Frederick Joseph, seeing the word in a novel never caused me to stumble over or even notice before you admonishing white people not to read and never read it out loud. Prime offered to add narration to Mosley's book. Gee I wonder if they got Denzel Washington to read it to those who prefer audio books? 

I recently watched an Easy Rawlins movie. I kept hearing Denzel's voice when reading some of Easy's lines. Hence my wondering whose voice narrates. Or do they have different readers for different characters? 


No comments:

Post a Comment