Friday, November 12, 2021

That may be a lie*

 Previous post I wrote: that may be a lie re: my father telling me I was irresponsible.

Many years earlier I took a couple of days off from my $1.00 an hour part time job. I wanted to take my children on a vacation. I was irate about the than mother-in-law's lies and broken promises. I will never forget the look on my middle daughter's face when Grandma brought her sister home from a trip to Atlantic City.

Mind you, I had told that woman that she could not take Dawn there this year. The great-grandma called me say8ing she was visiting my in-laws and wanted to take Dawn with her. I said: No, they do not like surprises. She had mom-in-law call giving the okay.  So I put Dawn on bus when it arrived from Scranton with great-grandma. 

That was how Mrs. R manipulated to get her way. Arriving home, opening daughter's suitcase showing off all the things she bought Dawn while in Atlantic City. It was Lori's birthday. Oh what a birthday surprise, one more year the witch broke the promise to take her to Atlantic City ~ next year. The next year that never arrived. 

Lori had never seen the ocean. My ex refused to take us to the shore. Ocean was only for fishing. So I made plans with my sister who lived not far from the Jersey shore. We would stay at her house for a few days, taking day trips to the ocean. Best laid plans. Ex & his mother made it a vacation from hell. 

Anyway, because I had the audacity to take those two days off from work, Dad felt I was irresponsible. My god, I never took a day off from that job. Thus the last conversation I had with my father 6 months before he died, he may not have said I was irresponsible for visiting him in the hospital. 

I do not know if I did take a night off from work. It may have been my scheduled night off. For sure Dad felt I was wasting gas money. 

A quote read somewhere said something like: stop trying to get from people what they can not give. That is why after that visit I gave up on a relationship with my father. No regrets that he died before I got home that day. 

PS: I was the only one of his sons/daughters, that did not attend what turned out to be the last family dinner ~ at a restaurant, his treat to us all. He was angry. But, at the time, I did not want to be irresponsible by taking a day off from work to attend the dinner. 

I was not being spiteful; I was trying to do the right thing according to his rules. Sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment