Friday, July 13, 2012

Bad father staying?

Ellipsis?

According to Free Dictionary online, it is an omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical (?) construction but not necessary for understanding.  Oh, I see. I do that all the time. End a sentence with ....

In Hope: A Tragedy, Kugel was pondering last words. "A period, sure, if you 're lucky. An exclamation mark,  okay. A question mark probably; that seemed the punctuation all stories, collectively and individually should end with after all.
Not an ellipsis, though.
Anything but an ellipsis."

Was a good father leaving as bad as a bad father staying? (Could substitute husband, or mother for father.)

George Eastman's suicide note read: Why wait?
Well, yeah.
Sure.
There was always that.

...he remembered reading that prisoners, locked in tiny cells, often walked in circles for hours,either trying not to become infirm or trying---this was the greater challenge---to remain normal human.

According to Professor Jove, it was the knowing that there had been a happy time, a place of joy and peace and security, that made the sudden absence of it all so agonizing...Not the agony of what was,but the agony of what was o longer; this was the source of all life's pain---not the fear of a hell to come, but rather the knowledge of an Eden that is no more.

Pessimists don't start wars.

I marked page 179 on a scrape paper and "subpar" but could not find the sentence using it. Some of the last words, Shalom Auslander included in his novel were written as such:

Alice

It was subpar
Born 1955 Died 2028

Tombstone style.

I think that is all the quotes I wanted to savor.

When I was younger I said the body is prisoner for the soul; death should be a celebration; longed to be free of my body's constraints. Now that I am much older, nearer death's door, I do not remember feeling that way. This book has me thinking about tombstone words for me, although there will be none ~ want cremation. I guess I would like my last words to be something like:

*We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun...

*Terry Jacks' tune.




No comments:

Post a Comment