Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Long Way Home

A quote from Karen McQuestion's novel, The Long Way Home:

"Remember, when the universe aligns it does so for a reason. There are no coincidences."

A Facebook friend posted a t-shirt image that read "Who's Pete Sake?" One of her friends thought that hysterically funny. I pondered, thinking it should read "What's Pete's sake?" I picked up The Long Way Home, turned two pages and read: "Men. For Pete's sake."

Coincidence? Can not recall last time I heard or read the expression, yet it seems a silly universal alignment, eh.

The story involves four newly acquainted strangers, who take an impulsive road trip from Wisconsin to Las Vegas Nevada. Jazzy asks the other ladies if they ever pretended they were in a movie and  music was the soundtrack. She explains how that works, tuning in a Queen song, narrating, (and the camera zooms...). My mind wandered, wondering what Queen song it would be. Only title came to mind was We Are The Champions. Soon find out that it was the tune the ladies were singing along to.

It is probably a spoiler to say that one of the women is physic. Ah, those voices in the head (calling Gloria, Gloria...). After a thought comes to her to do something she ponders:

"Was it her own thought or something from outside her? It wasn't always easy to tell."

I can relate to that.

Good advice even for non-physic's:

Stay still...
Be open to the possibilities.

Another woman found "..an amazing number of friends confessed to having mystical experiences." Visions, voices, communications from the dead, yes, I know many who experience them. As with the physic in the book, I believe we all have ESP, some develop it, others unaware. A belief that does not help when hallucinations are the product of an unwell mind.

Also relate to: "Being ignored was the worst of all."

"A crescendo," Laverne repeated, trying it out. What a beautiful word. She'd never said it aloud before, culd have gone her whole life without saying it...

Ah, me too. Reading it in the novel, I said it out loud. Decided it a great game to play when reading ~ words I have read hundreds or thousands of times, yet never spoken. No time like the now to start speaking them aloud. Of course, with me, who knows if my pronunciation will be accurate.,,

No comments:

Post a Comment